Application Deadline: before 1 Nov 2022 (annual)
Study Country: Canada
Course starts May/Sept 2023
Brief Description About Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program was established to attract and retain world-class doctoral students, as well as to establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher education. The scholarships are towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.).
Canadian Universities with Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships allocation. Without exception, the Vanier CGS is tenable only at the eligible Canadian institution that submitted the nomination.
Level of study/Field(s) of study:
Ph.D. programs in health research, natural sciences and engineering research, and social sciences and humanities research (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.).
As a requirement for program completion, an eligible doctoral program must include a significant research component that leads to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, scholarly publication, performance, recital, and/or exhibit that is merit/expert-reviewed at the institutional level.
Joint graduate research programs with a professional degree (e.g., MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) and clinically-oriented programs of study, including clinical psychology, are also eligible if they have a significant autonomous research component, as described above.
Number of Scholarships:
Up to 166 scholarships are awarded annually
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada, and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS.
The scholarship is worth $50,000 per year for three years.
Requirements To Apply For Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
You must meet the following requirements to be considered for a Vanier CGS:
- Be nominated by a single Canadian institution that has received a Vanier CGS quota
- Be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research programs such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., and JD/Ph.D. if it includes a demonstrated and significant research component). It should be noted that funding is only available for the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree.
- Intend to pursue full-time doctoral (or joint graduate program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) studies and research at the nominating institution in the summer semester or academic year following the announcement of results; It should be noted that funding is only available for the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree
- Have no more than 20 months of doctoral studies completed as of May 1, 2023
- Have completed no more than 32 months of full-time doctoral study by 1 May 2023 if:
- Enrolled in a joint graduate research program, such as an MD/Ph.D., MA/Ph.D., or DVM/Ph.D. Applicants in this category have access to the 32-month window regardless of whether they were previously enrolled in a Master’s program, were accelerated directly from a Bachelor’s to a Ph.D. (no time spent in a Master’s program), or were accelerated from a Master’s degree into a Doctoral program without obtaining the Master’s degree.
- Have earned a first-class average in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent, as determined by your institution. Candidates are strongly encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average; and
- Must not be currently or have previously held a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC in order to pursue or complete a doctoral degree.
Instructions for use:
Candidates must be nominated by a Canadian institution that has a quota for the program in which they wish to study. Candidates cannot apply to the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program directly.
There are two ways to start an application. Either the student notifies the graduate studies faculty at the chosen institution of their intent to apply to the Vanier CGS program, or the institution initiates the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
The student prepares the application and submits it to the nominating institution by their internal deadline using the ResearchNet application system. By 1 November 2022, the nominating institution must forward recommended nominations to the Vanier-Banting Secretariat (the Secretariat).
To apply for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships, Kindly visit the official scholarship website
Official Scholarship Website: http://www.vanier.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html
See Also; Other Scholarships in Canada
Related Scholarships that might interest you;